Thursday, March 05, 2009

missed connections

When I lived in DC, one of my favorite things to do was to get the CityPaper and sit down and read the I Saw You section. I'm not even sure I can pinpoint why I enjoyed it so much - some of it was purely voyeuristic, I'm sure. But, I also liked seeing how people described the situation/characters ('I was wearing a white t-shirt' Wow. Helpful.) Some people wrote with some wit and flair, and some .... did not.

Craigslist has, of course, moved it to a whole nutha level with Missed Connections. I think people are more likely to write because it now has an immediacy. (Can you believe people used to write it up on a piece of paper and mail it in??) I wonder how often people connect through Missed Connections, and what comes of it.

Recently, I borrowed (yet another) book from the library. Flipping through the book, I came across a little slip of scrap paper with subjects and call numbers written on it. Knitting - check. Sewing - check. Thai cooking - check. Legal practice - check! I wish I could meet this person - I even like their handwriting. We'd have so much to talk about! Maybe we could talk about legal practice over some Thai food....

2 comments:

tamasha said...

You have to tell us what book it was!

maisnon said...

tamasha: Ah! It was a book on starting your own law practice.

Forget Thai food, maybe we could have been partners in a practice!