Wednesday, February 15, 2006

my funny valentine

The Best Friend ("TBF") is very happily married, sometimes disgustingly so. (She and the hubby actually try to gross/freak me out with PDA - which isn’t hard to do - but, I’ve long since grown immune to their antics.) Recently, she told me that her favorite Valentine's Days were the ones that she spent with her girlfriends. After my most recent V Day, I can absolutely see why.

I’m not sure when it became the popular thing to slag on Valentine’s Day. I can see why, of course, it’s a “Hallmark holiday”, it’s part of our society’s obsession with coupling off, it heightens gender stereotyping and smacks of consumerism (“Let me show you I care by … spending money on you”), etc. etc. Don’t worry, I get it. But I think that you can abstract away from that and make it what you want.

I’m cheesy, so I enjoy holidays. In this very space the idea of a girls’ night at Medjool was discussed. Channeling my inner Julie, social activities cruise director, I organized a little soiree.

roop and I drove up from the Peninsula to meet brimful, ads, and oodles at the restaurant. I’ll admit: the restaurant was nowhere near as good as the last time I went. The food was kinda medium, the service was sub-par, they added a gratuity for a party of 5, etc. But I didn’t care, the company and the conversation more than made up for it. If you’re looking for an amateur auctioneer, oodles is your girl – she can talk a mile a minute, especially when trying to avoid a question. My dinner companions were kind enough to indulge my food photography obsession (pic to come soon.) We had a long conversation on the vagaries of Indian nomenclature. (A guy named Lovely? That shit ain’t right!)

How sweet is this? roop brought us truffles and oodles brought us cookies! The sweet!! (Literally!) It’s not a word I use very often, but I have been blessed to meet such amazing, intelligent women. I can’t imagine a more perfect Valentine’s Day.

4 comments:

Roonie said...

Now that is DEFINITELY the way to do it. It's been awhile that I've done the hyped up Valentine's Day thing, and I feel happier because of it. It's a lame day with a lame theme.

oodles said...

I'm all about avoiding and dodging questions!

Anonymous said...

Awoid, yaar!

(Sorry, that has nothing to do with anything, but I couldn't resist.)

Thanks for dinner!

Anonymous said...

I swear I once met a desi chick named Snowy. I asked her how she got her name and she said that when she was born, her parents thought she was very fair...like snow.