Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Chrysalis

To every thing, turn turn turn
There is a season, turn turn turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

-The Byrds [Ecclesiastes 3:1-8]

Some thoughts and changes sneak up on you, gathering weight and momentum . Others, it seems like, are the headline on page 2 of the newspaper: "Newsflash: This isn't Working, Try Something Else." On occasion, I think this entire blog could be summed up as "Ch-ch-ch-changes (Turn and face the strange ... CHANGES!)" And it annoys me to no end.

But maybe that is life, a series of changes - some incremental, some great, bounding leaps. To be all black turtleneck about it, we begin dying as soon as we are born. (Freaking black turtleneck - I hate that thing!)

So what manner of change am I pontificating about today? Recently, it dawned on me that I am entering a wintry phase. This has nothing to do with the actual season, and is more a reflection on my desire to turn inwards, to some extent - to nest. For however long this phase lasts, I do not want to make external effort. I do not want to call people, or organize things, or make plans, or .... anything. That's not to say that I won't be accepting any of these things, just that - for the time being - the giving side of the operation is going on hiatus.

Ah, winter. I want to read, to work out, to write, to knit, to nap, to take long, blustery walks, to take photos. I remember reading that tulip bulbs must experience a freeze in order to bloom in the spring. That's where I am - I need some kind of isolation and inner focus in order to spring forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel aligned with those words. Very much so.