Wednesday, March 21, 2007

but what if I'm a mermaid

Our high school English teacher had some "interesting" ideas. He walked around shaking his fist and exclaiming, "I'd strike the sun if it insulted me." (So much so, in fact, that some forgotten student painted a canvas with a nautical scene and that quote.) We watched "Cool Hand Luke" for somewhat inscrutable reasons. We also watched an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, where the intrepid crew of the Enterprise comes across a people that speak .... entirely in metaphors!!! (DUN...dun...DUH!)

..........

Recently, I've been noticing the elliptical ways people communicate. I love talking to one of my coworkers, but it's always more like ..... two monologues flowing along, a form of free-association. We never really know what the other person is talking about, or how their stream of thought formed.

I picked Hesse up and he started right in, continuing a conversation we'd had a solid week ago. I had to love him a little for that: knowing that he'd been thinking about what we talked about, his assumption that I would know what the HELL he was referring to.

And the other end of the spectrum: not even needing to communicate. I can tell TBF "just the facts, ma'am," and she will have a fairly accurate map as to how I reacted, what I thought and felt. It's kinda cool, and kinda disarming at the same time.

Although I love these zigs and zags, I do wish that there was an emergency override button: that you could, in times of crisis, attain some kind of state where the other person (or people) could immediately understand what you were saying, why you were saying it, your intention, etc. (and vice versa.)

I'm feeling a drawing towards .... and away from people. I enjoy the people in my life, but it seems so very hard to add people. If I'm a lone, I'm thinking that it would be nice to share a glass of wine and a laugh with someone. If I'm in a group, I'm thinking about curling up with a cup of tea and a paperback. (Tea - the beverage of solitude.)

I feel like there is a drumbeat in my head "I want ... I want ... I want."

No comments: