Wednesday, July 11, 2007

break your eye open

In an episode of one of my favorite TV shows, Six Feet Under, Claire - the aspiring art student - is flipping through a book of Nan Goldin photographs. As she explains to her brother, she is trying to "break her eye open" and see new perspectives, without all of the tired associations we've formed.

.........

Björk has a song on her excellent, excellent album Debut entitled "There's more to Life than This." At one point she shuts herself in a washroom stall and stagewhispers:

I could nick a boat/ And sneak off to this island/I could bring my little ghettoblaster/There's more to life than this

........

That's where I am: somewhere between "breaking my eye open" and really, really getting that there's more to life than this. I feel like that's a lesson I learn over and over, sometimes in small ways - meeting someone at a party who has done/been to/simply is all these things I've never even though of - and big.

I'm full of ideas and epiphanies again, returning to my core values. The spring, it seems, is coiling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't do it! The spring will just wind down again. Better to stay still and let entropy take you rather than have your heart broken again and again.

It's not too late, you can still become bitter and fatalistic, resigned to your fate and the hand that has been dealt to you. Why break your eye open? Somebody will just poke it out!

Anonymous said...

Be what ever it is you feel, why live in a world scared of rejection, with hidden emotions, hesitant reaction or restricted words. Breaking your eye and heart is healthy. I dont want to live in the shadows of my soul. Set it free and the rewards will be finding strength in you. Im tired of being a replica of what I have raised or what society has moulded me into. Let go of all associations. We are born as individuals, yet we're so afraid of being just that.