Monday, October 09, 2006

Skeet surfin'

On a recent Sunday, I went shooting (shootin' ?) Quick background: I, along with a group of coworkers, won a morning of shooting at our annual charity auction. I had a great time, and would recommend it (and might go again.) The partner singled me out as the person most likely to end up buying a shotgun, but I doubt that very, very seriously.

Here's where it gets interesting: telling my mother. I don't know why I told her - I was afraid that she would freak out about it. (This is the woman who didn't want me donating blood after 9-11 because it involved needles. And therefore, somehow, was dangerous.)

maisnon: So, um, I went shooting on Sunday
maman: REALLY? Were you good????
maisnon: Uh, NO?
maman: Oh, I'm surprised. You didn't hit anything?
maisnon: Well, I hit some....
maman: You know, you have to keep OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON shooting.
maisnon: It's a shotgun - there are only two bullets!
maman: When you aim you need to be a little bit ahead of the target.
maisnon (inner): WTF is up with all of this shooting advice from a woman who has never held a gun???
maisnon: Okay, um, thanks. Wait - why did you think I'd be good at shooting?
maman: Well, you used to play that game on the computer....
maisnon (inner): what the hell is she talking about? Go go Gadget filial ESP.
maisnon: DUCK HUNT. I used to play Duck Hunt on Nintendo and you thought that would somehow translate into some kind of skill?

My mother remains the most hilarious person in my life.

5 comments:

Roonie said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! DUCK HUNT? That's hilarious. She likens your skill to Duck Hunt. Oh, if only all small things were that indicative of the larger reality. Such a cute maman.

terence said...

i TOTALLY though duck hunt. haha...so you liked it?? i've always wanted to go shooting.

Anonymous said...

aren't parents the funniest?!??? hope all is well in my old hometown.

btw, thanks for the pr link. much happiness. love from me to you, maisnon!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your Mom will next claim that you can break bricks by jumping from underneath them? Grow to 2x your size by eating mushrooms?

maisnon said...

terence: I thought it was fun - I'd go with a small group of people.

ILTSLAE: If you hum the theme song at the same time, those moves will totally work in real life!