Sunday, April 15, 2007

Krump

I watched "Rize" today. Love, love, loved it - and recommend.

I'm a sucker for most things dance-related. (I've even started watching "Dancing with the Stars" online!) And yes, now I get it - I miss having dance as a part of my life. In college, I was on step team, which was ridiculously fun (and hard work.) Post college, I got into DC-swingin' swing scene, and worked up to dancing 2-3 times a week.

And now - nada. I clearly need to get my dance on.

Step and swing are very different dance forms. What I enjoyed about them both: the learning curve (well, maybe more like when you are finally half-way decent at something, i.e. the last 25% of the curve), and the creativity that comes when you know your stuff well enough to throw your own style into it.

Learning a partnered dance was a challenge for me. I tend to be pretty independent, and it's hard to really follow someone's lead (um, especially if they aren't very good. That's not even me being mean - a good lead is a breeze to follow, and makes you look like a better dancer than you are!)

My promise to myself: I will do at least two things this week ( as crazy as it is shaping up to be) to move myself towards taking a dance class in the near future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Learning a partnered dance was a challenge for me. I tend to be pretty independent, and it's hard to really follow someone's lead

That's exactly what prompted me to take swing-dancing classes back in NYC, and I do wish I had sought it out more in SF...