Tuesday, November 27, 2007

notable

The New York Times has published its 100 Notable Books of 2007. And I have read exactly zero of them.

Initially, I was shocked. Then, I remembered that I no longer shop at bookstores. Everything I read comes from the library (and, on occasion, friends.) I was much more "up-to-date" with the latest novel to come out when I frequented Borders.

So, new project (and you know how I love me my projects): read through the 2007 list. (Or, at least, the 50 novels - I'm not a huge fan of nonfiction.)

First one up: The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon. Chabon wrote one of my fave books: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

3 comments:

tamasha said...

Woo hoo! I am reading Yiddish too. Once it comes from the library, I mean. :)

I have read 3 others (Oscar Wao, Falling Man, Harry Potter), and have a bunch of others on my Request list. I can't afford to buy books anymore. I have neither the $ nor the space. Le sigh.

Anonymous said...

I have read exactly one, and sadly, I do not have the library/old book-reading as an excuse. When I get a chance, thanks to you reminding me, I wish to pick up Oscar Wao, because I read one of the Junot Diaz short stories that he later developed into this novel, and it's so fresh that I know it will be an interesting read.

Neel Mehta said...

Surprisingly good list for the stuffy NYT.

Tom McCarthy's Remainder is the best book I've read in years. And it's short -- you can read it in a single afternoon.

That and Deathly Hallows are the only two I've read, but I recently checked out the Charles Schulz / Peanuts biography and plan to start that soon.