Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pedestrian


J.M. Fischer sign, originally uploaded by maisnon.

Weekend update, y'all!

My Saturdays are more-or-less spoken for right now: I am doing Hike for Discovery, a fundraising/training program through the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. This means I get up WAAAAY early Saturday morning, drive somewhere beautiful, and them tromp over hill and dale. And take photos. Then, I get in a car and drive home and walk gingerly during the afternoon.

This has affected my Sundays as well. My recent pattern has been to make brunch plans in the Mission, cab in, and then take the long way home. I get in, usually, 2 miles of walking and the soreness works itself out. I've also discovered the absolute flattest path between the Mission and my apartment. Necessity is the mother of a lot of things, people!

This Sunday, helas, I had no brunch plans. Instead, I had BOOK CLUB! This is the book club I started on craigslist. Basically, I posted an ad seeking other people interested in a book club meeting in Noe Valley/Mission coffeeshops and reading fiction. Sunday was our third meeting. (We previously read The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and no one made it through The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano.) (More about Book Club in a future post.)

I want to focus on one small thing that happened at Book Club: we were gathering around a table, and I said that one person who had RSVP'd had yet to arrive. Emily pulled out a book and said "I hope it's Alex because I have her book." I said, "Oh! You know Alex?!" (Alex had not been able to make the prior meetings.) Emily said that she had been at the bookstore on 24th after our last meeting looking for A Thousand Splendid Suns (March's book) and found it waaaaay up high on a shelf. When she went to get the ladder, another woman was also moving it over. They joked that they had better not be trying to get the same book , ha ha! Which, of course, they were. Because they are in the same book club. Without having met before.

LOVE IT!

On the way home, satisified with intellectual chat and the promise of more books in the future, I took the photo I've been wanting to take for days. This sign was uncovered as a work crew renovated a little spot on the corner.

1 comment:

tamasha said...

Oh my god, that is so creepy. In a good way.

I want to go hiking!!