Thursday, March 05, 2009

missed connections

When I lived in DC, one of my favorite things to do was to get the CityPaper and sit down and read the I Saw You section. I'm not even sure I can pinpoint why I enjoyed it so much - some of it was purely voyeuristic, I'm sure. But, I also liked seeing how people described the situation/characters ('I was wearing a white t-shirt' Wow. Helpful.) Some people wrote with some wit and flair, and some .... did not.

Craigslist has, of course, moved it to a whole nutha level with Missed Connections. I think people are more likely to write because it now has an immediacy. (Can you believe people used to write it up on a piece of paper and mail it in??) I wonder how often people connect through Missed Connections, and what comes of it.

Recently, I borrowed (yet another) book from the library. Flipping through the book, I came across a little slip of scrap paper with subjects and call numbers written on it. Knitting - check. Sewing - check. Thai cooking - check. Legal practice - check! I wish I could meet this person - I even like their handwriting. We'd have so much to talk about! Maybe we could talk about legal practice over some Thai food....


tamasha said...

You have to tell us what book it was!

maisnon said...

tamasha: Ah! It was a book on starting your own law practice.

Forget Thai food, maybe we could have been partners in a practice!