Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Nota bene In re: Perspective

Taking my internal temperature and talking to fellow Bar-toilers, I realize that we’re all freaking out. I am a big believer in energy, and opportunity cost. Energy used for one purpose can’t be used for another. Energy wasted on worrying about not passing the Bar can’t be spent on actually studying for the Bar.

Referring to the cliché that this is a marathon, and not a sprint – there is a strong mental element. I let myself flounder a bit to find my feet, but now, in conjunction with preparing myself for the substantive component, I’m developing my mental arsenal. Channeling my inner-Tony Robbins, I’m visualizing myself at the exam, I’m focusing my self-talk (i.e. pulling the plug on my daymares about not failing), I’m building my confidence by thinking about the challenges that I’ve already faced, and I’m trusting the process (well, I’m trying – this is the hardest thing in the world for me.)

The other big part of this is perspective: every lawyer I know (and I know a lot – I live in the DC area) has passed a Bar exam. Hard, but not impossible. Sometimes you can eliminate anxiety by thinking about what you fear the most: if I don’t pass, I’ll take the exam again. It won’t be fatal.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand how difficult the exam is, and the pass percentage, etc. My most immediate goal is to PASS THAT SUCKAH - I’m just cleaning my mental house (the better to refill it with 1L class material, my dear.)

5 comments:

Chai said...

I FEEL YOU, darling. nuff said.

Roonie said...

You know, I'm going to clear my head, too. Nothing but good, "I can do it" thoughts. I'm gonna do it. I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a good self-talk session and a few of your favorite things (food, music, cartoons) to get you through this.

Anonymous said...

Totally right. So much of our perception of the world is based on our self-talk. It's never in our best interest to freak ourselves out for no reason. Great post!!

maisnon said...

jm: Yesterday was powered by "C.R.E.A.M." (Cash Rules Everything Around Me) - Wu-Tang, and today is "Spin, Spin SUGAH!" - Sneaker Pimps (Armand's remix, of course.)

But, my offer to Lauryn still stands...