Saturday, July 30, 2005

les rêves

My best friend called me at 7:30 a.m. the day after the Bar to tell me that she was sorry.

Not good.

And a little disconcerting.

After going over logistical details as to how I planned to get from Oakland back to her place, she finally leveled with me. She had a dream. In it, I showed up at her place and announced that I was engaged to a guy named Scott - a guy I had never even mentioned before. In her dream, she called me every name in the book. She could tell that was being irrational and over-the-top, but she couldn't stop herself. And so - even though she knew none of that had *actually* happened - she felt guilty, and needed to apologize. In turn, I promised that I would never get engaged to a guy named Scott. And then, of course, I asked the $64,000 question:

"So, uh, was he cute?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:D Now, you know I have to ask - why $64,000?

maisnon said...

Oh, you crazy kids. The $64,000 Question was a quiz show in the '50s. (Yes, before even MY time ;) )

maisnon said...

You're SO right - my actual promise was "I'll never get engaged to a guy named Scott WITHOUT TELLING YOU ABOUT HIM FIRST."

Good catch, PM!!