Tuesday, July 24, 2007

stereoimage

I've wanted to write about turning the corner in the hope that what I've realized might help someone else. Distilling it down, it is this: when you realize that it is broken, when you give up the idea that you have to (or even CAN) fix it - there is release and such freedom. Things that were unbearable suddenly aren't. Where you had no space and no distance, you have insta-perspective. The claustrophobia dissipates, and the horizon seems to stretch on endlessly.

I've had this feeling a few times in my life, when I finally managed to shed certain jobs, friendships, just ... situations. And it's a revelation every time.




I wish I could bottle this. I would keep it in a cool dark place in a brown medicine bottle with a white paper label:"Open in case of emergency."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me more. Let's say that I'm stuck in a job I hate, and I feel pressure to "fix it," or do something about the situation (although I'm not really sure what.) And it's unbearable and clausterphobic.

Are you implying that giving up on trying to fix it will set me free and be a release? I want some of this Maisnon medicine!

Actually, I'm going to try what you suggested. I hope that you're on to something :)

tamasha said...

It's hard to give up that idea, though. Of fixing I mean. But that's my ego talking, yeah? Who says I even have the power to fix? Le sigh.

Neel Mehta said...

Fascinating image -- what you see tells a lot about you.

It's either the vase that I broke when I was 5 years old, or a mirror image of my mother's disapproving face.

Anyway, it could be worse. You could force your career into limbo, as some have.